Green chalkboard with FAQ written

Learn answers to the questions frequently asked about the dual enrollment program?

1. What does Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit mean?

Eligible 10th, 11th, and 12th grade high school students may enroll in a course, which provides both college and high school credit. Serious consideration and counseling should be provided for 10th grade students to ensure they have the social maturity and academic readiness for college-level work.

2. Who are eligible students?

Students must be in the 10th, 11th, or 12th grades.

3. What GPA is required for Dual Enrollment?

Students must have a minimum cumulative (unweighted) grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.

4. What courses are offered for Dual Enrollment credit?

A list of academic and CTE courses and their descriptions are provided by each college. "Special Topics" courses are not eligible for CTEDE Scholarship funding. Refer to the Alabama Community College System website for CTEDE Eligible Programs for more information.

5. Do Dual Enrollment students earn credit toward their high school credit requirements?

Typically, students must complete three semester credit hours at the postsecondary level to equal one credit (Carnegie unit) at the high school level in the same or related subject. Each participating local education agency/school system (LEA) has the final authority on equivalencies.

6. What paperwork is required of the student by the college to enroll in Dual Enrollment courses?

• Application for Admission to college

• Photo ID (Alabama driver license or state-issued identification card)

• High school transcript documenting the required grade level and grade point average

• Statement of Eligibility for Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit Students form (with

required signature of principal or CTE representative and counselor)

• Interview with CTE Instructor or Program Advisory Committee (highly suggested)

7. What are the costs associated with Dual Enrollment courses?

Students in Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit courses are responsible for the cost
of tuition, fees, textbooks, and materials and supplies as required in the syllabus of each course at the institution, unless covered by alternative funding sources. Students who fail to pay tuition and fees by the end of the drop/add period are not considered enrolled and may be dropped from course rolls. The appropriate LEA and/or other secondary educational entity will be notified. Some colleges may require tuition and fees be paid before the first day of class.

8. Is financial aid available for Dual Enrollment courses?

Academic Dual Enrollment

While high school students are not eligible for Pell grants, students may apply for scholarship funds provided by the college or other entities, if allowable.

Career and Technical Education Dual Enrollment

Students wishing to enroll in Career and Technical Education Dual Enrollment programs may apply for assistance through the ACCS Career and Technical Education Dual Enrollment (CTEDE) Scholarship which provides funding for tuition and fees. If enough funding is available and at the discretion of the college, the CTEDE Scholarship may also cover the costs of textbooks, materials, and supplies as required in the syllabus of each course. Colleges may choose to maximize the CTEDE Scholarship funds by providing textbooks, tool kits, personal protective equipment, and other associated materials and supplies for student checkout. CTEDE Scholarship funds may also be used to cover costs of specific academic course(s) that are required in the eligible CTE program of study, but must be taken concurrently with the CTE course(s). Other scholarships may be available through the local school systems. Students should contact their college counselors for other opportunities that may be available.

9. Do high school students have to travel to the college to take Dual Enrollment classes?

If a high school teacher meets the credentialing requirements of the college and is employed as an adjunct instructor by the college, the course may be taught by the high school teacher. With permission from parents and their principals, students may travel, on their own, to college campuses to take classes. Due to the discipline required, it is suggested that students taking an online course should be recommend by the high school counselor. Dual Enrollment students are encouraged to take summer classes to shorten their time toward a career and technical education certificate or degree.

10. Who do I contact at the college regarding Dual Enrollment?

Contact the Instructional/CTE Dean or the Dual Enrollment representative at each college for further information.

11. May a dually enrolled student enroll in a preparatory Math or English course, if the preparatory course is being taken with the college-level credit course being taught as a co-requisite?

The dual enrollment procedure indicates that only college-credit courses may be taken. Therefore, students are not allowed to take preparatory courses, while participating in the dual enrollment program (even when they are being offered as co-requisites). The Dual Enrollment procedure states, “Developmental courses (those numbered below 100) are not offered through dual enrollment.

Need More Information?

Tell us how we can help you.

Describe in detail your question, what you would like to learn more about, or how we can help you reach your educational and career goals. We are here to help you succeed!

Request Info