Responsible Borrowing

With any student loan - private or federal - you have to pay back the money you borrowed with interest. You will pay back more than you borrow.

You (and your co-borrower, if applicable) should carefully research the options and select the private loan that best suits your needs. You will need to provide any documentation requested by the lender and follow the application procedure that is specific to the loan. Bishop State will certify any private educational loan based upon eligibility.

In addition to private loans, please visit the following links to search for possible scholarship opportunities - Sallie Mae Scholarship Search and Kentucky Higher Education Scholarship Search.

Steps you should take to apply for a private loan:

1. Complete the FAFSA. (Required beginning fall 2021)
2. Apply through Great Lakes - Fast Choice Loan Option. Complete the financial literacy component, Borrowing Essentials, and apply for the loan. When choosing a loan option, the borrower type to select will be "Undergraduate." Your loan limit will depend on the amount for which you qualify, as determined by the lender, and your remaining need, as determined by the FAFSA.
3. After applying for the loan and receiving notification from the lender, Bishop State will certify your loan amount based on the loan period(s) you specified in your application. For example, if you specify the Fall and Spring loan period your loan will be divided equally between the Fall and Spring semesters.*

For more information about loans, contact the Financial Aid Office at 251-405-7015 or email

NSLDS for Students

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid. It receives data from schools, the Direct Loan program, the Pell Grant program, and other U.S. Department of Education programs. NSLDS provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and Pell grants that are traced through their enrite cycle from aid approval through closure. Private student loans are NOT reported to NSLDS.