Staff, Forms, Links, and FAQs

Financial Aid Staff

  • Financial Aid Office, Direct Number - 251-405-7015 -
  • Deidre Austin, Financial Aid Secretary
  • Sinika Yates, Financial Aid Clerk
  • Libya Hunter, Financial Aid Advisor
  • Rochelle French, Assistant Director of Financial Aid

Please call the number above and your call will be directed to the appropriate Financial Aid Advisor.

If you prefer, you can email or .

Financial Aid Forms

Most forms required by Bishop State Community College’s Office of Financial Aid and Veteran Affairs are submitted electronically via OneACCS. To determine what documents are required for the completion of your financial aid file, please check your OneACCS student portal. Documents that must be downloaded, completed "in ink" and returned to the Financial Aid Office are linked below.

  1. Email to
  2. Mail to: Bishop State Community College, Office of Financial Aid and Veteran Affairs
    351 North Broad Street, Mobile, AL 36603-5898
  3. Bring the forms in person to the Financial Aid Office on the Downtown Campus

Additional Documents

Useful links

Frequently Asked Questions

How quickly can I get my financial aid questions or concerns addressed? Send an e-mail to and you will receive a response within 12 hours during the workweek.

How do I apply to receive financial aid at Bishop State College? The first step in the application process is to complete the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA).

What is the FSA ID and how do I obtain my FSA ID? The FSA ID is a government-assigned number used to sign the FAFSA on the web. You must obtain an FSA ID if you are classified as a student. Also, your parent is required to obtain an FSA ID if you are classified as a dependent student.

What is the Federal School Code for Bishop State College? 001030 is the federal school code for Bishop State College. You must put this school code on the FAFSA in order for Bishop State to receive the FAFSA information from the federal student aid processor.

What happens if I withdraw from all classes and I have Federal Student Aid? Students who receive Federal financial aid and withdraw from and/or fail all classes could have to repay a portion of federal aid. The amount of aid earned is based upon the number of days in which students attended classes. If the students attend more than 60 percent of the semester, they earn 100 percent of the Federal aid award. Students may also lose eligibility for Federal student aid for future semesters.

How long after I complete the FAFSA will I receive my financial aid award? If you are not flagged by the U.S. Department of Education in a process called verification, and if you have submitted all the required documents to process your financial aid, you will be notified on the status of your award within a week after we receive the information from the federal processor.

What do you mean by being flagged for verification? The U.S. Department of Education may flag certain applications for further review by the College and this process is called verification. If flagged, Bishop State is required to verify certain items on your FAFSA. The items include Household size, Number in College, Adjusted Gross Income, U.S income Tax paid, and certain untaxed income.

Why do I have to use my parents’ financial information on my FAFSA since I don’t live with my parent? You do not have to use your parents’ financial information if you answered “YES” to any of the following:

  • I was born before January 1 of the base year specified on the FAFSA.
  • I am married.
  • I am serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • I am a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • I have children and I provide more than half support for those children.
  • Since I turned age 13, both of my parents were deceased.
  • I was in foster care since turning age 13.
  • I have dependents that live with me and I provide more than half support for them.
  • I was a dependent or ward of the court since turning age 13.
  • I am currently or I was an emancipated minor.
  • I am currently or I was in legal guardianship.
  • I am homeless or I am at risk of being homeless.

What is Professional Judgment? Federal regulations grant the financial aid administrator the authority to use professional judgment, only on a case-by-case basis, to either increase or decrease one or more of the data elements used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The financial aid administrator can also make adjustments to accommodate unusual circumstances confronting a student. Call the financial aid office for additional information and procedures for applying for professional judgment.

I was denied financial aid because of not meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy, what is SAP? Federal regulations require that students receiving Title IV student financial assistance must be making satisfactory academic progress towards graduation. The financial aid office has determined that you are not meeting the standards of academic progress policy and you must explain in writing why you failed to meet the standards. Supporting documentation must be attached if mitigating circumstances occurred which includes, medical conditions/treatment, loss of an immediate family member, loss of a job, etc.

Is it true that the Office of Financial Aid and Veteran’s Affairs at Bishop State is on FACEBOOK? Yes! Join the financial aid group on FACEBOOK. It's easy! As a member of the group, you will receive timely and important updates on financial aid, registration, etc. You will also have the opportunity to share your financial aid experience with other group members.

When can I receive my financial aid check? Funds remaining after tuition and fees, books/supplies, and other institutional charges are covered by your financial aid will be mailed to you by check (or Direct Deposit) within 14 days of the Financial Aid Freeze date for each semester (indicated on the Academic Calendar). If you have a change of address, this information must be submitted to the Admission’s Office in order for a check to be mailed to the correct address.

What is the No-Show Appeal? Students that have registered for classes and scheduled to receive financial aid but have not been marked as attending the classes will be removed from those classes. If you did attend, you must complete a No-Show Appeal form to be reinstated in those classes.

What if my parents are are divorced or separated? you must use the financial information of the parent with whom you lived with the most in the past 12 months, or the parent who claimed you as a dependent on their most current federal tax return. If you lived with neither parent or lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months. If that parent is remarried, you must also include the step parent’s financial information on the FAFSA.

When do I have to reapply for financial aid? It is highly recommended that you complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. The new FAFSA opens on October 1 every year. Since you will use the income and tax information from 2 years prior you should be able to complete the FAFSA in October for the next academic year. Completing your FAFSA early ensures that you have your financial aid award ready for the payment of tuition/fees, books/supplies during registration for classes. Some campus-based funds such as FSEOG, ASAP, and the federal work-study jobs are awarded on a first-come, first-award basis. Every financial aid recipient must reapply for financial aid every year.