Veteran's Educational Benefits

Veteran students and/or their dependents may qualify for VA educational benefits. The Financial Aid Office is the certifying authority for veterans, service members and their dependents.

The Financial Aid Office serves as a link between the Regional Veterans Affairs Office and the VA benefit recipient. Veterans or their dependents seeking assistance under the various Federal and State programs should, if possible, make initial application for such programs at least four weeks prior to enrollment. The Financial Aid Office will offer assistance to the student in completing the required forms and forwarding them to the proper V.A. Office. Since most federal V.A. programs make monthly payments directly to veterans after enrollment, the veteran must be prepared to pay tuition and fees and meet all other payment deadlines before receiving the initial monthly allowance.

Bishop State Community College does not participate in the Advance Payment Plan with the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Certification Process

All students who receive VA Educational Benefits must meet the following requirements to have their enrollment verified to the Department of Veterans Affairs:

  • First time applicants need to complete and submit the VA Form 22-1990 (Application for Education Benefits) online at Once you received the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from Veteran Affairs office via postal mail, you will need to submit it to the school.
  • Must have a complete admission file. For transfer students, prior credit has to be evaluated before submission of enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Must pay for all registered classes, except those students who are CH 33, 100% rating.
  • Must complete the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form and submit to the Office of Financial Aid and Veteran Affairs for approval. This form requires the student’s original signature and is REQUIRED EACH semester.
  • Must ensure all registered courses are included in the current degree plan that are applicable to the declared program of study. .
  • Must submit an official Joint Services Transcript if the student is the veteran. Request your military transcript here.
  • Certification will not be granted for audited courses or courses in which a veterans has received a grade of “D” or higher

Class Attendance of Veterans

Any student receiving VA educational benefits is required to attend all classes in which they are enrolled. The Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office is responsible for certifying the enrollment of veterans and their dependents electronically via the Department of Veterans Affairs certification program. Certification will be conducted at the conclusion of the College Drop/Add registration process.

Withdrawals from Class by Veterans

Students receiving VA educational benefits may adjust their schedule during the drop/add period. After the drop/add period, students will have to notify the school’s VA Certifying Official before they may be withdrawn for any course(s).

VA Forms

Academic Standards of Progress

Students should follow the required academic standards of progress as outlined under the section entitled Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid.

Veterans Benefits

Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program ANGEAP is a program established by the legislature of the state of Alabama and is designed to provide financial assistance to active Alabama National Guard members who are enrolled in degree programs at accredited post-secondary institutions of higher learning located within the state of Alabama. Limited funding is provided by the Alabama Legislature, and priority is given to those who apply early. For more information about the ANGEAP, members should contact the unit administrator at their prospective unit.

Tuition Assistance (TA)
Tuition assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DOD) program. GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard, and Army Reserve soldiers to request tuition assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere, for classroom and distance learning. It allows soldiers to manage their education records, including college classes, testing, on-duty classes, and Army education counselor support. Soldiers may request TA through GoArmyEd prior to the course start date. GoArmyEd will notify the soldier of TA approval. If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the soldier of the reason and the next steps. All drops/withdrawals must be handled through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged. Students have fourteen (14) days from the start of the semester to input information into the GoArmyEd system for TA approval.

Alabama GI Dependents Scholarship Program
This nationally renowned program was created by Act 633 and approved in October 1947 by the Alabama Legislature. It is administered by the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs and is governed by the Code of Alabama 1975, Section 31-6-1. The veteran must meet the following qualifications to establish eligibility for dependents. A dependent is defined as a child, stepchild, spouse, or the unmarried widow(er) of the veteran.

Application Assistance: The Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs maintains offices throughout the state which can furnish information and assist you in filing your application. To find your nearest Veterans Service Office, visit the Veterans Service Office Locator page for contact options.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation (Disabled Veterans)

A veteran may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits if he or she is in need of vocational rehabilitation because his or her disability creates an employment handicap. Vocational rehabilitation may be provided for up to 48 months. An eligible veteran generally has 15 years from the date that he or she is notified of entitlement to VA compensation to use their Chapter 31 benefits. VA may approve an extension of time and/or length of training in certain cases.
Entitlement for vocational rehabilitation on services is determined on an individual basis following an evaluation of the veteran’s interests, aptitudes, education, work experience, and vocational abilities. Each school is assigned a Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist to assist Chapter 31 students and school officials responsible for certifying Chapter 31 students. Full tuition, fees, and books are paid to the school by the VA. In addition, the student gets a subsistence allowance depending on the training status.

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) and Active Duty

The Montgomery GI Bill ® (Active Duty), also known as Chapter 30, is a program of education benefits generally for individuals who enter active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985 and have contributed to the College fund. Active Duty for benefits purposes includes full-time National Guard duty after November 29, 1989. The participant generally must serve continuously on active duty for three-year or greater initial enlistment, or, for a lesser benefit, two years of an initial active duty obligation of fewer than three years. An individual also may qualify for the full benefits by initially serving two continuous years on active duty, followed by four years of Selected Reserve service. In the latter case, the participant must enter the Selected Reserve within one year of the release from active duty. The participant must meet the requirements for a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate before the first period of active duty ends. Completing 12 credit hours toward a college degree meets this requirement. Individuals who initially serve a continuous period of at least three years of active duty, even though they were initially obligated to serve less, will be paid at a higher basic rate. Bishop State Community college does not participate in advance pay.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11

The Post 9/11 GI Bill ® is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. The benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date. You may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®. Once you elect to receive benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, you will no longer be eligible to receive benefits under the program from which you elected before the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®. A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school (for BAH rates, please visit U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) is associated with this benefit. For those enrolled solely in distance learning, the housing allowance payable is equal to 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents for the 2011 academic year (Active duty students and their spouses cannot receive the MHA). An annual books stipend of $1,000 is paid proportionately based on enrollment.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)

This program provides benefits for members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after July 1, 1985. To find out more about eligibility requirements, please contact Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO) at 1-888-442-4551.

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. This program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Additional VA Information

Additional Information regarding benefits available to veterans and their dependents is available by calling the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 (toll free) or by reviewing the Department of Veterans Affairs website at