New Students

Greetings from the Dean of Students!

hazzardWelcome to Bishop State Community College – the Home of the Wildcats!  I am delighted to extend greetings to you from the members of the Division of Student Development Services.  We offer many exciting programs and services to make your college experience a great one. We want to help you achieve academic success as you join approximately 4,000 other students who have selected Bishop State as the place to begin their academic journey.

To learn about the many services available to you, please read the information below. I especially invite you to browse through our New Student Online Orientation, a great resource for helping you navigate your way as a new member of the Bishop State family.

During this New Student Online Orientation, you’ll learn about the various departments and resources available to you:  admissions, financial aid, VA benefits, extracurricular opportunities, athletic programs, and much, much more.

From your initial contact with an admissions representative, meeting with a financial aid representative, registering for classes, and planning for graduation, please know all of us in Student Development Services are here for you.  We truly believe Bishop State is “A Great Place To Start!”

Dr. Terry Hazzard, Dean of Students

Tel. 251-405-7087

Members of the Executive Council

The executive council is responsible for the oversight of many facets of Bishop State Community College. Most importantly, the members of this team are available to you. They want to answer your questions, help you with concerns, and serve as resources to make your college experience fulfilling and productive. Simply contact them either by telephone or e-mail.  They will be happy to meet with you personally.

Reginald Skyes, President

Ann Clanton, Interim Vice President of Operations

Latitia McCane, Ph.D., Dean of Instructional Services

Terry Hazzard, Ed.D., Dean of Students

Karl Henry, Dean of Technical Education and Work Force Development

La’Keith Miller, Dean of Business and Finance

Madeline Stokes, Director of the Baker-Gaines Central Campus and Coordinator of Federal Programs

Claude Bumpers, Interim Director of Carver Campus

New Student Orientation

Beginning freshmen and transfer students are strongly encouraged to attend New Student Orientation. Please attend New Student Orientation on the campus that offers your major. Orientation dates will be posted prior to each registration.

Orientation Links

College Registrar

Philip-Urbanek-WEB Hello:

On behalf of the Office of Admissions and Records, I am excited that you have made Bishop State your college choice. My staff and I are eager to serve you.  We are trained to provide you with access to the College and assist with the transition to the learning environment and, ultimately, graduation. The admission process is simple.  Simply visit the College’s website at or call us to obtain an application.  Complete the application and return it to the College as soon as possible along with an official copy of your high school diploma or GED.

For more information or questions regarding Admissions, call the Main Campus at 405-7000, Southwest Campus at 665-4805, Baker-Gaines Central at 404-4400 and Carver Campus at 662-5361.  All members of our staff will be happy to serve you.   We look forward to your becoming a student at Bishop State.

Philip Urbanek, College Registrar

Tel. (251) 405-7006

International Students

Yolanda-McNeil-WEBBishop State has a long history of educating international students and we currently serve over 200 international students from the continents of Africa, South America, Asia and Europe.  Our office is located on our Main Campus in the Student Center and I am here to help make your college experience a memorable one.

To enroll at Bishop State, you must complete the regular admissions forms, submit an official copy of your high school transcript in English to show you have taken courses equivalent to an American high school diploma, and provide proof of current immunization.  You will also need to submit a notarized statement declaring you have adequate funds to pay for your college courses.  Required scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are 500 on paper or 61 on computer.  Please bring all of these documents to the Office of International Students.

And, finally, you will be required to maintain adequate health and life insurance, which includes repatriation to your home country.  Please visit for details on the required insurance.  This coverage must be maintained during all semesters you are enrolled at Bishop State.

We are excited about your becoming a member of the Bishop State community and I am available to help you in any way possible.  Please call or email me for further assistance.

Yolanda McNeil

Tel. (251) 405-7002

Campus Police

campusYour safety at Bishop State is of the utmost importance to the staff of Bishop State.  We strive to help make your learning environment as comfortable as possible. As the Chief of Campus Police, I am dedicated to serving the community, safeguarding students’ lives, and maintaining the property of the College.If you need an escort to classes, feel threatened by individuals on campuses, or sense any potential danger, please call our office.  We want you to feel safe while attending classes or college functions.

Lloyd Washington, Chief of Police

Tel. (251) 405-7062

Counseling Staff

Victoria Perry, Ed.D.,  Main Campus

Yvonne Foster, Central Campus

Anthony Carter, Carver Campus

The basic objective of the Guidance and Counseling Program at Bishop State Community College is to assist students with concerns related to college life. These may include academic advisement on class scheduling, programs of study best suited to your interests, how to prepare for graduation, personal issues, and more.   Counselors are available at all of our campuses. Please call and get to know us!

Career Planning and Job Placement

bishop_th_daphne_drinkardWelcome to Bishop State Community College. I am Daphne Stamps, Director of Career Planning and Job Placement. My office is located on the Southwest Campus. We offer these services to you: career planning, resume-writing techniques, and job interviewing skills.

Additionally, I work with prospective employers to learn about possible employment opportunities for you. To learn more about how we can help you, please call or stop by my office Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon.

Daphne Stamps, College Recruiter
Tel. 251-665-4124

Students with Disabilities

Did you know Bishop State Community College provides reasonable accommodations and services for qualified students with documented needs or disabilities?  Once you provide documentation of your disability to the ADA Office, we can help you in a variety of ways by allowing you to:  receive priority course registration, tape record the audio portion of any lecture or lab, obtain assistance with class notes, have tests read orally or receive extra time to take tests, and more.

As the ADA Coordinator, I am available to facilitate these types of services for you.  Please drop by my office, which is located in the Student Center on the Main campus, or call 405-7087.   We are here to help you achieve SUCCESS.

Terry Hazzard, Ed.D.

Tel. (251) 405-7087

Learning Assistance Center

Justin-Cooley-WEBWelcome, Wildcats! I am Justin Cooley, Director of the Learning Assistance Center, located on our Main Campus. The Center provides a variety of academic support activities to help you improve skills in various content areas.

Contact the Learning Assistance Center for details on the services offered, criteria for test exemption, and the retest policy.

Justin Cooley

Tel. (251) 405-7100

College Bookstores

Bookstore services are located on two campuses of the College. The Main Campus Bookstore is located in the Oliver H. Delchamps, Jr., Student Life Conference Complex. The Central Campus Bookstore is located in the main building.

Each bookstore maintains textbooks for all courses taught on that campus and instructional aids and materials that students need. Students from the Southwest and Carver campuses can purchase their books at the Main Campus bookstore.

If you need snacks, hats, sweats, computers, or book bags, we’ve got it all. Congratulations and GOOOOOOO Wildcats! You have the option to buy new or used textbooks, rental books (which must be returned in good condition at the end of the semester) or digital editions of textbooks.

Tel. (251) 405-7036

Child Care Centers

A childcare facility is located on our Baker-Gaines Central Campus.  Childcare is provided in conjunction with the College’s Early Childhood Education Program.

The facility serves children ages 3 months to 4 years.  As a student at Bishop State, your children will receive first priority.  We also serve children of the community, so tell your friends and family.  Contact the Early Childhood Center on our Central Campus at 405-4416.

Jesse Eleby, Instructor

Financial Aid and Veterans Services

chuksWelcome to Bishop State Community College. While college can seem expensive, Bishop State has a comprehensive program of work-study employment, grants, and scholarship funds available through federal, state and institutional sources. You should apply as soon as possible to be eligible for assistance, and our staff is available to assist you with the application process. Use college code 001030 for Bishop State, or contact us to apply today! View the Financial Aid section of this site.

Samuel Chuks, Ed.D., Manager of Financial Aid and Veterans Services

Tel. (251) 405-7015

Library Services

micklesThe Bishop State Community College library services are provided on all four campuses and serve as resource centers for students, faculty, and members of the community. Our goal is to serve an integral part of the instructional program and academic community by providing access to resources that support the college curriculum. The libraries provide (1) an organized collection of printed and other materials, (2) trained staff members to help you find the materials you need, and (3) a posted schedule of operating hours with staff members available to assist you.

In addition to the traditional resources, our libraries are connected to unlimited resources through the Alabama Virtual Library. This resource provides all students, teachers, and citizens of the state of Alabama with online access that is essential to library and information resources.

Marsha Mickles, Director of Library Services

Tel. (251) 405-7113


Important guides for you while a student at Bishop State are the College Catalog and the Student Handbook. Both documents are found online. They contain information for admission to the college, course requirements, major areas of study, financial aid regulations, graduation requirements, and many other resources for you. Familiarize yourself with these documents to make sure you understand the college policies, rules and regulations. View the student handbook here.

Extracurricular Activities

As a student at Bishop State, you’ll get more out of your college experience if you get involved in out-of-class activities and organizations. There are a number of options for you: programs for leadership training, services to the College and the community, self-directed activity, membership in clubs and organizations with fellow students, and opportunities to interact with persons from different backgrounds. We encourage you to join organizations that are meaningful to you and become an involved participant. You’ll be glad you did!


Trenton-Eager-WEBBishop State offers sports to help you to learn teamwork, develop a strong work ethic, and improve your personal sportsmanship. Programs for men include baseball and basketball.  Women’s programs include softball, basketball, and cheerleading.  You’ll find our programs are tops in the state of Alabama and our athletes have won many awards. See the College Catalog and Student Handbook online for more information or call the Athletics department. Get involved, support the College’s athletic teams, and have fun!

Trenton Eager, Director of Athletics and Women’s Basketball Coach

(251) 405-7139

Clubs and Organizations

As a student at Bishop State, you will find many interesting clubs and organizations for opportunities to develop your interests, skills, and abilities while spending time with fellow students and making new friends.  You are welcome to join any of the organizations that interest you as long as you meet the club’s qualifications (though we try to make our organizations open to all students). For more information, contact the Office of Dean of Students at 405-7087, view the College’s Website, or read the College Catalog or Student Handbook online.

If you would like to form a new club at Bishop State that you think others would like to join and would be a good fit for Bishop State, visit the office of the Dean of Students to discuss it with him.  If it seems to be a good idea for the students of the College either academically or socially, he and the College President will consider its formation.

Currently, the College has established programs for the following organizations:

  • Active Minds
  • Africana
  • Athletics for Men and Women
  • Barbering and Hairstyling Association
  • Campus Ministry
  • Cheerleading Squad
  • College Band
  • College Choir
  • Cosmetology Student Association
  • Creative Renditions of Artistically Fueled Talents
  • Culinary Arts Student Association
  • Health Information Management Student Club
  • Health Occupations Students Of America (HOSA)
  • International Society of Automation
  • International Student Organization
  • Jazzette Dance Team
  • Kappa Beta Delta Honor Society
  • National Technical Honor Society
  • Nightingales
  • Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Fraternity
  • Physical Therapist Assistant Club
  • Sigma Kappa Delta
  • STEM
  • Student Government Association
  • Wildcat Ambassadors

View the Student Club and Organizations section of this site

Standards of Student Conduct

As a student at Bishop State Community College, you can expect the faculty and administrators to maintain an environment full of opportunities and freedom to learn for you both in your classrooms and throughout the four campuses. You will be encouraged to learn how to think critically, search for truth, ask questions, and exercise freedom of speech as adults. You will be expected to obey college, civil, and criminal laws and be subject to corresponding corrective action when you fail to do so. However, you may be denied admission to the College if you’ve received disciplinary action from another institution of agency or if the Admissions Committee determines that your presence on campus may threaten the welfare of others.

Your conduct as a student on all Bishop State campuses and outreach extensions must conform to the College’s rules and regulations. You will be expected to conduct yourself as responsible men and women at all times and in all places; to respect the rights and privileges of instructors, fellow students, and all staff; and to attend studiously to their work. The College may at any time dismiss any student whose conduct is, in its judgment, detrimental to him- or herself or to the welfare of others. Violators of college rules and regulations are subject to disciplinary action. Please refer to the College Handbook or Student Handbook for details.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)



You will be assigned an advisor upon enrollment and must meet with him or her to register for classes, provide your ACCUPLACER test results, and plan your schedule of courses.  The advisor will work with you each semester in planning out which courses

to take to keep you on track for graduation.  Ask your advisor for a degree plan for your curriculum.  You can also print your degree plan the College’s website at


If you are attending Bishop State for the first time, you must register in person on campus.  If you are already a Bishop State student, you will be contacted through your campus email address as to when they can begin registering online.


Tuition charges are set by the Alabama State Board of Education.  You are charged by

the credit hour.  Check the class schedule or Bishop State website for current charges.


Refund policies are set by the Alabama State Board of Education.  There is no refund

due if you partially withdraw from classes after the Official Drop/Add period.  If you officially withdraw from ALL classes for which you have registered before the first day of classes, you will be refunded the total tuition costs and other refundable fees.  Details of the refund policy are printed in the Class Schedule Booklet and the College Handbook or  Student Handbook.



Class attendance is strongly encouraged.  You are expected to regularly attend all

classes and be on time.  Excessive absences may affect your final grade.   Exceptions

are for fulfilled military duty, jury duty, or court witness obligations.  See the College Catalog or Student Handbook for details.


You should formally drop a class by completing a Drop/Add Form obtained in the Office of Admissions.  Failure to complete the form could result in a failing grade in the class you are no longer attending.


You must officially withdraw from the College by completing a Voluntary Withdrawal Form in the Office of Admissions on your campus.  Failure to properly withdraw will affect your continued enrollment as well as your financial aid award.


Your instructors normally list their office hours in their course syllabus and give you additional contact information such as campus email, office phone or cell phone.   If you are having difficulty contacting your instructor outside of class, contact the Dean of Instruction at 405-7012.


Your GPA is your Grade Point Average and is calculated each semester on the basis of hours you have completed and grades you have earned.  It is also accumulated from semester to semester and affects your academic standing, honors recognition or probation.  The College Catalog or Student Handbook outlines the grading system and scholastic standings of the College. If you have questions concerning your GPA, please visit the Office of Admissions.


Yes.  The hours you have attempted and your actual grade point average determine

the probation, which is noted on your permanent college transcript.  If you are placed on probation or suspension for a specific semester, it will be indicated on your grade report for that time period.  Details on academic probation and suspension can be found in the College Catalog or Student Handbook.  One important thing to remember:  probation and suspension may affect your financial aid.


Yes.  The College has three scholastic recognitions:  President’s List, Dean’s List, and

the Honor Roll.  These are awarded on a semester basis and determined by the hours you have earned and your grade point average.  The award is noted on your permanent college transcript, and in local newspapers.  Details on scholastic honors can be found in the College Catalog or Student Handbook.


To switch from one major to another, you must complete the “Change of Major Form.”  Once your major has been changed, you will be assigned a new advisor to help you with course selections and other program of study issues.  The needed form is located on all four campuses in the Office of Admissions.


If you want to change any of your personal data in the college directory, you will be required to complete a “Change of Student Information Form.”  This form is located on all four campuses in the Office of Admissions.


College bookstores are located on the Main and Baker-Gaines Central Campuses.  Students from the Southwest and Carver Campuses should purchase their books at the Main Campus bookstore.  Baker-Gaines Central Campus has its own bookstore.  The two bookstores offer several options for obtaining textbooks — purchase or rental.    The bookstore also offers a book buy-back towards the end of the semester.  Please contact 405-7036 for further details.



You will find a variety of counseling services available in the Division of Student Development Services.  Counselors have offices on all four campuses.  These services include:


If you have been placed on academic probation, please meet with an academic counselor

to discuss ways to improve your academic performance and get back on track.  You will find a variety of other help services available to you if you need assistance outside the classroom.


If you are unsure of your career plans and need some direction, you can find help through various career inventories or counseling sessions.  Information on appropriate academic majors for specific is also available to you.  Contact representatives in the Office of Career Services at 665-4124.


If you are having personal problems and need someone to talk to, please make an appointment with a counselor on your respective campus who’ll be glad to listen and provide you with other resources available to you.


Please contact the ADA Coordinator at 405-7087 or visit the ADA Office to discuss the type of special services you need to increase your success as a Bishop State student.  The office is located on the Student Center on our Main Campus.  Once you provide documentation of your disability to the office, we can help you in a variety of ways by allowing you to receive priority course registration, tape record the audio portion of any lecture or lab, obtain assistance with class notes, have tests read orally or receive extra time to take tests, and more.

Your conversations with the staff and faculty are confidential and will not be shared with others outside of the ADA Office.  We are here to help you achieve academic success through services provided under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and 2008.


As a student at Bishop State, you will find financial assistance (if you qualify) to help

you with the costs of college.  There are academic and athletic scholarships, Pell grants, work-study options, and other forms of assistance.  Senior citizens ages 60 and above enjoy free tuition and pay only the nominal fees associated with the courses.   


College life does not end in the classroom and you will find a variety of interesting activities available for you to meet friends and get involved while at Bishop State.

There are athletic programs in men’s and women’s basketball, men’s baseball, and women’s fast pitch softball, to name a few.  You can develop leadership skills through the Student Government Association or the Wildcat Ambassadors.  There is also a wide range of student organizations including the college band, choir, and several scholastic and honorary organizations.


If you need assistance or additional help in Reading, English, and Mathematics, please come by the “Learning Assistance Center.”   Services are also available to help with study skills, career selection, and how to improve your writing.   For details call 405-7100.


For help with starting the VA benefits process, you can call the VA Office on the Bishop State Main Campus at 405-7015 to speak with a VA Counselor.  Once you are admitted

as a Bishop State student, please notify the VA Office as soon as possible to make sure you have completed all the necessary forms to obtain your VA benefits.  For more information, visit Veterans Affairs.

You can also apply directly to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs by applying online at:


Police officers are on duty 24 hours.  In case of emergency, simply ask a faculty or staff member for assistance or contact Campus Police at 405-7060.  If no one answers and you feel it is an emergency, please dial 911.


The College awards associate degrees, certificates and diplomas.  You will work closely with your advisor who will help monitor your progress towards graduation and make sure you’re taking the right classes for the program you’ve selected.  When you complete your course of study, you will be able to apply for graduation.  Please pick up graduation applications from the Office of Admissions in plenty of time to make sure you’re on track for the big day!


There are two great resources for you to learn how to transfer to a four-year college or university to complete your degree.  The first is STARS (the Statewide Transfer & Articulation Reporting System), a web-accessible data system which provides guidance and direction for prospective transfer students in the State of Alabama.  Visit to learn the number of credit hours you’ll be granted from the courses you have taken at Bishop State , download a transfer/guide agreement to find out what future courses you should take upon transferring, and much, much more.  The second resource is CollegeFish, a new resource that connects your preferences about size, location, majors, cost, and other details that matter most with colleges and universities. Visit  for complete details.


Important Dates

    1. Baseball Game

      February 23 @ 2:00 pm
    2. Baseball Game

      February 24 @ 12:00 pm
    3. Women’s Basketball Game

      February 26 @ 5:30 pm
    4. Men’s Basketball Game

      February 26 @ 7:30 pm
    5. Baseball Game

      March 1 @ 12:00 pm

View Full Academic Calendar »