Frequently Asked Questions

How quickly can I get my financial aid questions or concerns addressed?

Send an e-mail to and you will receive a response within 12 hours during the workweek.

Is it true that the Financial Aid Office at Bishop State is on FACEBOOK?

Yes, and joining the financial aid group on FACEBOOK is easy. As a member of the group, you will receive timely and important updates on financial aid, registration, etc. You will also have the opportunity to share your financial aid experience with other group members.

How do I apply to receive financial aid at Bishop State College?

The first step in the application process is to complete the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) at

What is the FSAID and how do I obtain my FSAID?

The FSAID is a government assigned number used to sign the FAFSA on the web. You must obtain a FSAID if you are classified as a student. Also, your parent is required to obtain a FSAID if you are classified as a dependent student. To apply for the FSAID, click here:

What is the Federal School Code for Bishop State College?

001030 is the federal school code for Bishop State College. You must put this school code on the FAFSA in order for Bishop State to receive the FAFSA information from the federal student aid processor.

How long after I complete the FAFSA will I receive my financial aid award?

If you are not flagged by the U.S. Department of Education in a process called verification, and if you have submitted all the required documents to process your financial aid, you will be notified on the status of your award within a week after we receive the information from the federal processor.

What do you mean by being flagged for verification?

Because students sometimes make errors on the FAFSA application, the U.S. Department of Education may flag certain applications for further review by the College. This process is called verification. If flagged, Bishop State is required to verify certain items on your FAFSA. The items include Household size, Number in College, Adjusted Gross Income, U.S income Tax paid, and certain untaxed income.

Why do I have to use my parents’ financial information on my FAFSA since I don’t live with my parent?

For the 2018-2019 academic years, you do not have to use your parents’ financial information if you answered “YES” to any of the following:

  1. I was born before January 1, 1995.
  2. I am married.
  3. I will be working on my master’s or doctoral program.
  4. I am serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces.
  5. I am a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  6. I have children and I provide more than half support for those children.
  7. Since I turned age 13, both of my parents were deceased.
  8. I was in foster care since turning age 13.
  9. I have dependents that live with me and I provide more than half support for them.
  10. I was a dependent or ward of the court since turning age 13.
  11. I am currently or I was an emancipated minor.
  12. I am currently or I was in legal guardianship.
  13. I am homeless or I am at risk of being homeless.

What is Professional Judgment?

Federal regulations grant the financial aid administrator the authority to use professional judgment, only on a case-by-case basis, to either increase or decrease one or more of the data elements used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The financial aid administrator can also make adjustments to accommodate unusual circumstances confronting a student. Call the financial aid office for additional information and procedures for applying for professional judgment.

I was denied financial aid because of not meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy, what is SAP?

Federal regulations require that students receiving Title IV student financial assistance must be making satisfactory academic progress towards graduation. The financial aid office has determined that you are not meeting the standards of academic progress policy as listed on pages 24 & 25 of the College Catalog. You must explain in writing why you failed to meet the standards of academic progress. Supporting documentation must be attached if mitigating circumstances occurred which includes, medical conditions/treatment, loss of immediate family member, loss of job, etc.

When can I receive my financial aid check?

Funds remaining after tuition and fees, books/supplies, and other institutional charges are assessed to your financial aid will be mailed to you by check 14 days after the start of classes for the semester. If you have a change of address, this information must be submitted to the Admission’s Office in order for your check to be mailed to the correct address.

What is the No-Show Appeal?

Students that have registered for classes and scheduled to receive financial aid but have not started attending the classes will be removed from those classes. You must complete a No-Show Appeal form to be reinstated in those classes.

If your parents are divorced or separated, you must use the financial information of the parent with whom you lived with the most in the past 12 months, or the parent who claimed you as a dependent on their most current federal tax return. If you lived with neither parent or lived with each parent on equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months. If that parent is remarried, you must also include the step parent’s financial information on the FAFSA.

When do I have to reapply for financial aid?

It is highly recommended that you complete the FAFSA as soon as you file the IRS income tax return, if you are a tax filer. Completing your FAFSA early ensures that you have your financial aid award ready for the payment of tuition/fees, books/supplies during registration for classes. Some campus-based funds such as FSEOG, ASAP and the federal work-study jobs are awarded on a first-come, first-award basis. Every financial aid recipient must reapply for financial aid every year. For example, if you received financial aid for the fall semester 2009, and spring semester 2010, you must reapply by completing the FAFSA to receive financial aid for the fall semester 2010, and spring semester 2011.