Vision & Mission
- Bishop State At A Glance
- Our History
- Vision & Mission
- President’s Message
- Our Partners
- Campus Locations
- Bishop State Foundation Board
- Financial Board
- Financial Data
- Alumni Affairs
- Open Bids / RFPs
- Resources & Other Employment
- Executive Council
- Gainful Employment
- Emergency Plan
Bishop State Community College will be a comprehensive learning institution that equips students and the community with the skills, knowledge, and ability to achieve real world success.
Our Mission is to provide high-quality educational opportunities and services that are responsive to individual and community needs for the citizenry of Mobile and Washington counties at an affordable cost. The College utilizes traditional and distance learning to accomplish its mission. Bishop State Community College fulfills its mission by offering the following:
- Transfer education designed to prepare students at the freshman and sophomore levels for transfer to other colleges and universities.
- General education courses in the liberal arts and sciences to support all college degree programs.
- Technical, vocational, occupational, and career education courses that prepare students for immediate employment, retrain existing employees, and promote local and state economic stability and competitiveness.
- Partnerships with business, industry, and professional groups to assess and fulfill training needs to meet workforce demands.
- Developmental education to assist individuals in order to improve learning skills and overcome educational deficiencies to bring their basic skills to a level appropriate for college-level work.
- Academic support services that include a learning resource center and basic skills activities that enhance instruction.
- Student support services that provide advising, counseling, tutoring, financial assistance and social and cultural activities for all students, including those with special needs.
- Continuing education and personal enrichment opportunities that support lifelong learning and the civic, social, and cultural quality of life.
- Conducive learning environments equipped with classroom technology and attractive physical campuses.
- Continuous assessment through research and development of programs and services and the utilization of results for improvement.
Student Achievement Data
The mission and purpose statement of Bishop State Community College indicates key objectives are to provide: transfer education to prepare students to transfer to other colleges and universities; general education courses to support all college degree programs; technical, vocational, occupational, and career education courses that prepare students for immediate employment, retrain existing employees, and promote local and state economic stability and competitiveness.
Principles of Integrity
As members of the Bishop State family – administrators, faculty, staff, students and alumni – we believe in the following principles of integrity that serve as a code of ethics to lead us in the fulfillment of our individual and collective “Commitment to a Program of Excellence” for the overall good of Bishop State Community College:
- Truthfulness and Integrity – We value honesty in all we say and do.
- Responsiveness and Accountability – We serve the people of Alabama and respond to them with our best, in right decisions and right actions.
- Helpfulness – We help by providing beneficial knowledge, information and training to individuals, groups and communities.
- Orderliness – We organize data, information, facts and ideas in a manner that is useful, retrievable and applicable.
- Betterment – We seek to be better every day in every facet of our work.
- Thrift and Value – We conscientiously accept the responsibility for stewardship of all funds, to use money wisely and faithfully.
- Ethics, Courtesy and Civility – We comply with applicable laws, rules, regulations of government, accrediting agencies, our governing Board, as well as our sense of what is right.
- Equal Opportunity – We respect the dignity and worth of all individuals. We treat people without regard to their race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental capacity.
- Responsible Independence – We accept responsibility for the fulfillment of our mission through the independence from interference and undue influence required by accreditation standards.
- Effectiveness – We measure our progress toward goals and objectives in fulfilling our mission.